Healthy Kerala Plum Cake Recipe
Recipe by: Nutralite
- Prep: 30 min
- Cook: 90 min
- Serving: 20-24
- Review Count: 5911
- Category: SNACKS
- Nutrient Values:
This Christmas, you can make one of the most widely loved and easy yet healthy cakes. The Kerala Plum Cake is a nutty and fruity cake, flavored with spices. This Christmas baking recipe is famous for usually starting over a month before when people who intend to bake it, soak dry fruits in rum and let it soak in the flavour. Dry fruits most commonly used are tutti-frutti, dates, cherries, cashews and raisins which are commonly available. The Christmas cake recipe below will make two 8 inch round cakes, or one 13x9 inches cake, or about 24 muffins.
What you need to prepare the Kerala Plum Cake:
Mixed nuts - 1 cup (Cashews, almonds, or walnuts)
Mixed dry fruits - 3 cups (tutti-frutti, dates, cherries, cashews, raisins or other fruits you like)
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Boiling Water - 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice - 2-3 drops
Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Clove Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Dry Ginger Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Nutmeg Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 2 cups (about 250 grams)
Nutralite Classic - 1 cup (about 250 grams)
Powdered Sugar - 2 cups
Eggs - 4
Apple juice - 1/4 cup
Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp
Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
Salt - a pinch
- How to Make Kerala Plum Cake:
- Although the Kerala Plum Cake is traditionally made with the dry fruits soaked in rum for a month before preparing the cake, in order to make this Christmas cake recipe non-alcoholic, cook the fruits in apple juice for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chopped nuts and mix well.
- Let this mixture cool before you begin making the cake.
- Preparing the caramel syrup:
- Take 1/4 cup sugar in a pan and cook on medium flame, for 5-10 minutes.
- When the sugar melts and turns golden-brown in color, add 2-3 drops of lemon juice.
- Add 1/2 cup of boiling hot water to the caramelized sugar.
- Switch off the gas, but keep stirring.
- Let the syrup cool and keep it ready to bake the cake.
- Preparing oven and the cake pan:
- Preheat the oven to 170oC (325oF).
- To prepare the pan you will be baking in, grease it with a non-stick cooking spray or with Nutralite.
- Baking the Cake:
- Add Nutralite Classic to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar to it and mix together. Keep mixing the two until it becomes creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and keep mixing till they blend well together. Mix in vanilla extract with this, and set it aside.
- Lightly Dust the dry fruits and nuts mixture with 1/4 cup of flour (maida).
- In a separate bowl, take the dry ingredients, namely maida, baking powder, baking soda, salt and the spices, and lightly mix them together.
- Add these dry ingredients to the previous mixture. Adding it in small batches while mixing, helps you get a smooth batter.
- Mix in the caramel syrup and dry fruit & nut mixture to this smooth batter.
- Pour this batter into the cake pans that you have prepared, and bake in a 170oC oven for about 1 hour.
- Place a tray with a little water in the lower rack of the oven, to prevent the top of the cake from getting dry.
- It usually takes about 60 minutes for two 8
- To check if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and remove it. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let the cake cool and enjoy this Christmas Delight.
- If you’re looking for an eggless variation of the cake, substitute the eggs with additional 100grams of Nutralite Classic and 1/4 cup water.
- Do tell us which of our Christmas recipes in 2017 you will be preparing, in the comment sections below. Don’t forget to share it with your friends, as this can also be a healthy birthday cake alternative. Happy Baking!
What do you think about this article?