Mayonnaise - this creamy, thick sauce has the ability to transform any dish. Often referred to as “Mayo” by many, it seems like such an important, unassuming part of our kitchen today. But there is so little we know about Mayo and its various uses.
Here are some facts about Mayo to give you food for thought!
- A common question many people ask is “is mayonnaise healthy?”. Contrary to popular belief, Mayo is healthy, if consumed in controlled proportions. What’s more, Nutralite Mayo is fortified with Vitamin A, D & E and meets 30% of your daily vitamin requirements.
- While it is said that Mayo is high in fat, it has zero saturated fats. Which means that it is the ‘good kind of fat’ that aids in nutrient absorption, helps lower cholesterol and keeps your heart healthy.
- Another common misconception is that Mayo always contains egg. Vegetarian mayo exists, and tastes really good too.
- Due to its many health benefits, it is definitely a good choice as a dressing to make those leafy salads, a lot more appetizing!
- It can also be used as a dip for breadsticks or nachos, as an easy appetizer for when unexpected guests drop in.
- Two of its most common uses might be as a dressing and a dip; but it can also be used as an ingredient in your cooking - to make mayonnaise cutlets, a mayonnaise sandwich or a mayonnaise omelette.
- Mayo can also be used as a replacement for butter in many dishes. For eg. Grilled Cheese. Other than adding a unique tangy taste to your grilled cheese, use it for practical reasons - unlike butter, Mayo spreads easily on bread and doesn’t burn easily during the cooking process.
- You can also use it to replace cheese while preparing a dish of extra thick, creamy mashed potatoes.
- Mayo can be used to make any meal interesting for your kids by adding a dollop to chapatis, rolls or sandwiches. It can also be used as an ingredient for everyday snacks like potato cutlets - a delicious evening snack made with potatoes, mayo, crushed roasted groundnuts, onion, cumin powder, salt and pepper.
- A surprising use for Mayo - as a butter replacement while baking. Taste delicious banana muffins or chocolate cupcakes with mayo added, and we bet you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference!
Mayo is an amazing ingredient, which doubles up as a dressing+dip+sauce, to make your dishes come alive with flavour and send your tastebuds dancing with delight. So, use this versatile Veg. Mayo to reinvent your signature recipes, and surprise your palate all day, every day!