Hectic work schedule, long working hours, meetings, meetings and more meetings... This pretty much describes the work-life of any typical employee today. While work becomes a big priority, sometimes even lunch isn’t spared. Avoiding home-cooked meals and substituting it with on-the-go meals may be the easier option, but it’s definitely not the healthiest option at all. You might be pressed for time in the mornings, but it doesn’t mean you can’t prepare a lunch-box with a quick lunch recipe while you get ready for work.
Eating out may seem convenient but is definitely not healthy, when done on a regular basis. Instead, you can cook simple meals at home, of which some don’t even need to be made from scratch. Here are five easy, quick and healthy lunch ideas you can try, that will help you enjoy a healthy food for lunch during your busy working day:
- Desk Salad: Pack bowls with radishes, tomatoes, cheese and hard-boiled eggs (or any other ingredients of your choice). This simple hack will sort your lunch out, for the entire week. You can experiment with different combinations of veggies and proteins, as per your food preferences.
- Brown Rice Bowl: Use half a cup, or upto a cup of brown rice and toss together your choice of cooked or fresh veggies, fresh herbs, and dressing such as apple cider vinegar, cheese or Nutralite. Store the contents in a box and take it with you to work. You can also substitute brown rice with quinoa or white rice, if you don’t have brown rice.
- Pasta Salad: Cook a big batch of pasta, add any veggies, cheese and toppings you want, then cool it in the fridge. You can also prepare this salad using whole wheat pasta. It won’t alter the taste; but if you like eating healthy recipes, it’s worth a try.
- Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie: To enjoy these refreshing smoothies cold at work, buy the veggies and fruits in bulk, blend them and then freeze in ice cube trays or muffin tins. You can store them in your office pantry or sip on them while you’re busy with your work.
- Leftover Sandwich: This is perhaps one of the easiest and quickest hacks on this list - making sandwiches from leftovers. Combine different leftovers for example: veggies, chicken or any other protein, salad, etc. to create flavourful sandwiches.
Preparing these delicious food recipes for lunch at home would hardly take about 10-15 minutes of your busy morning. Most importantly, even between a hectic work schedule, you wouldn’t have to skip a healthy meal and can grab any opportunity to munch down those much-needed calories every day. While it’s recommended you carry a proper meal to work, you can still make do with the above hacks without altering your diet.